So how can you amp up your beauty routine the easy and what are the old fashioned beauty secrets your gran used? To find out, just keep reading.
- Sleep on silk or satin pillowcases. Yes, they feel fancy, but they also don’t absorb moisture like cotton, and they’re smoother. That means that your skin and hair don’t lose as much hydration overnight, and that there aren’t as many rough spots for your hair to catch on, which reduces breakage.
- Braid your hair before bed. This is another breakage preventer, and it also works when you’re exercising or growing out bangs.
- Use plasters to help prevent and lessen wrinkles. Annie’s talked about Frownies, the modern-day inheritors to old-fashioned facial plasters. These strips work because on your face, the muscles are attached directly to your skin. So when you use a plaster to flatten your skin out, it also “relaxes” wrinkles.
- Stick your nails in a lemon. Cutting a lemon in half and shoving your nails into it may seem a little silly, but it’s actually a really easy way to whiten the tips and soften your cuticles. You can also use half an orange to soften up skin on your knees and elbows.
- Washing your hair the right way. Shampoo hair with hot water, rinse it, then saturate it with oil and wrap it up in a towel for 15 minutes. Then rinse it out with hot water, use a cleanser and lemon juice to get rid of any left over residue.
- Use beer as a clarifier. If my gran was recommending this, I would assume it was just an excuse to drink. But yeasty, hops-filled beer (think Guinness, not an IPA) helps pump up your hair shaft, giving you extra volume. And the acid in it helps remove product buildup to make your hair all shiny.
- Cucumbers. Place on the eyelids every night before bed and a layer of petroleum jelly under the eye at night to protect against puffiness and dark circles.
- Olive Oil. Rub a small amount into your skin to kept your complexion glossy and moisturized. You can even added a few capfuls into a hot bath for a nourishing skin soak.
Do you have any old fashioned beauty secrets you have to share let me know