Belmond Villa San Michele is stunning!
Nestled on a hilltop amid lush trees and terraced gardens, offering vast view of Florence – recognised as one of the country’s finest small boutique hotels and I was lucky enough to stay their for 3 nights after my husband and proposed!
We also shared our stay with non other than Julia Robert’s so I would say if its good enough for her then its defiantly good enough for me. I guess the very much added bonus was that she even brought us a bottle of champagne to celebrate our engagement! As if your not excited enough to get engaged its pretty cool for a celebrity to by you a bottle of super expensive Champagne and stay in a hotel like Belmond Villa San Michelle. Granted I was on a natural high the entire stay but this place was beautiful and their was something very special about it.
A bit of history
Dating from the 15th century, the Villa’s facade is attributed to Michelangelo. Step inside and you experience the beauty and solitude of a Renaissance monastery that is as much a part of Italy’s culture as the country’s greatest cathedrals and galleries.
At a glance
- ACCOMMODATION 45 rooms and suites
- DINING La Loggia restaurant and terrace, pool restaurant and bars
- FEATURES Cookery school, panoramnic heated open-air pool and gym
- ACTIVITIES Cultural tours and events
- EVENTS Meeting and banqueting rooms, including the panoramic Davanzati Room
- LOCATION 10km from Florence airport, courtesy shuttle bus to the city centre
The Pros Belmond Villa San Michele
- Superb and I mean superb Tuscan cuisine offered on the alfresco terrace (or inside depending on the weather) The views and set up are what dreams are made off (I appreciate this may sound corny and I was on a high after my husband proposed in Siena but honestly the set up is perfect)
- The cocktail list was extremely extensive and I loved sipping them in the beautiful, immaculately well kept garden and the romantic terrace before dinner (if you are near to the hotel but on a budget I would recommend just go in and splash out on a cocktail or two – the views are stunning)
- If the 5 star dinning is not up for you the hotel also offers a cheaper more relaxed atmosphere situated above the gardens – a pool snack bar open for lunch and snacks.
- The heated Swimming pool sits at the top of the hill and offers magnificent views across the Arno Valley and Florence
- The gardens are just stunning – the perfect place to relax on a lounger and sip a cocktails
- Beautiful massages offered in the open-air gazebo.
- Fully equipped gym – not that I used it!
- A courtesy scheduled shuttle bus operates between the hotel and town center
- Oh and you might bump into Julia Roberts and she might buy a bottle of Champagne like she did for us!!
The Cons Belmond Villa San Michele
- The rooms are small and the one we booked had no balcony, not sure if this is across the broad
- Some people might find it a bit stuffy (the menu I was given had no prices, just my husbands – i’m not sure if I think thats incredibly sexist and when I asked for parmesan on my pasta dish the waiter looked discussed and basically said I would ruin it – so I didn’t have it in the end as I felt so very uncultured!)
- The main restaurant is super expensive and I mean SUPER expensive
- The hotel as a whole isnt cheap!
Our trip (in pictures) to Belmond Villa San Michele and Florence
The hotel had a certain charm about it and I would highly recommend it for a special occasion or if you don’t want to stay I would recommend the main restaurant for a romantic dinner.
For more information and book click for website