“Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Your Body Shape”
Determine your body shape today and find a guideline for each and every body shape, providing you with clothing and accessory recommedations, and DIY styling tricks to help you look your best! The 5 main body shapes are Hourglass body shape, Rectangle Body Shape, Pear Body Shape and of course, Apple and Inverted Triangle.
Let’s face it. Most of us don’t have a proportional hourglass, “ideal” body shape. However, you can create an illusion of an hourglass shape 🙂
Of course, there are body shapes that won’t truly fit into any categories. You might bepetite or plus size. Short or tall. Thin-boned or thick-boned. Large-breasted, something in the middle or small-chested. Slim, curvy, chubby or overweight. And the list goes on.
That said, these body features might distort your frame, making it look like you don’t fit in any of the shapes.
Right now we’re going to look at your overall silhouette– the contours of your frame and how your upper and lower half are in-line with each other — to give you an idea on what you’ll have to focus on to look proportional.
How to Determine Your Body Shape
1. Step a few feet away from a full-length mirror and blur out your boobs, neck, the length of your legs and arms, and observe your overall body shape. Do this naked as underwear can also disguise what’s really there. For example: Wearing boy shorts can emphasize your hips and make you look more bottom heavy 😉
2. Now, focus on the shape of your torso. And visualize a dress form — shoulders to hips.
It’s the contours of your silhouette that will determine the line and the clothing shapes that are best for your body.
Note: If you gain weight, pay attention to where the pounds get stored, because that’s often a clue to what type of body shape you have.
The Body Shapes — there are 5 main combinations of torso proportions:
Pear: Torso and upper body smaller than your hips — with waist definition
Inverted triangle: Torso and upper body wider than your ships — with little waist definition
Rectangle: Torso and upper body are the same width as your hips — little waist definition
Hourglass: Torso and hips are approximately the same width — with waist definition
Apple: Torso and upper body wider than your hips — with little or no waist definition. You might have weight surrounding your waist.
Let’s take a closer look at each torso combination(body shape)!
Here are the 5 Common Body Shapes
Pear Body Shape
2. Your bust and shoulders are proportionally narrower than your hip-line
3. Your thighs and maybe your butt might be full and rounded
Inverted Triangle Body Shape
2. Your hips are narrow
3. You might have slim legs related to this inverted shape
4. You might have a flat butt
Rectangle Body Shape
2. You might look shorter and heavier than you really are
3. You have little waist definition
Hourglass Body Shape
2. You have a defined waist
3. When gaining weight, the fat usually stores evenly throughout your body
Apple Body Shape
3. Your hips and butt are wide and full
4. Your silhouette is round usually due to overweight or childbirth